The splendour of the city of Tavira is exemplified by its history and there is no better way of seeing this than through its buildings and monuments. Ranging from the historic castle and walls together with the ´Roman Bridge´to the more modern Mercado
da Ribeira .
We will give you a flavour of it here, but to truly enjoy you have to come and visit and walk through the narrow cobbled streets and alleyways.
The House built in 1541 by famous architect of
Tavira, André Pilarte who was also responsible for building the
church of Misericórdia.Currently the building form together with the
adjoining house built in the second half of the nineteenth century.
The Municipality of Tavira renovated the property in 2005 and is now often used for art exhibitions displays.
Raul Lino da Silva, better known as Raul Lino (Lisbon, 21 November 1879 - 13 July 1974) was a famous Portuguese architect. Raul Lino studied in England and in Germany, where he worked with Albrecht Haupt and then back in Portugal, he designed and built more than 700 projects. Many were in the Mediterranean Revival and Soft Portuguese styles.The two buildings 47B e 53 da Av. Dr. Mateus Teixeira de Azevedo are fine examples of his work. Where he developed a style built in accord with the prospective owners and their needs but also with understanding of the existing environment.
Built in 1887, the Mercado da Ribeira, Tavira, is typical of the common type of market in which was widely used in Portugal until the mid-twentieth century. In technical terms, the property is notable for introducing more modern materials such as iron and combining this with more traditional stone masonry. The building served as the municipal market until 1999,and since then has been renovated to its present state. It is now used as a focal and social point for the Baixa part of the city with cultural events held there on a regular basis.
The history of the Palácio da Galeria dates back to the middle ages however, its present format began being developed in the 16th century as evidence of the distictive Renaissance galley shows. Major works on the building took place from 1746 when the owner at the time, Judge João Leal da Gama Ataíde, recruited Diogo Tavares de Ataíde (1711-1765), the most important architect of the Algarve from the 18th century. The baroque stonemasonry of the portal and the upper floor windows make it one of the most remarkable civil buildings in Tavira. It is now owned by the City of Tavira and following major renovation works in 2001 now forms the centre of the Tavira museum and the city’s focal point for cultural events. It has two auditoriums, exhibition rooms, the and a cultural centre. Exhibitions are held throughout the year and the building should be on all visitors ´to see´list.
The remains of the castelo rise imposingly besides the Igrja de Santa Maria . The castle is reached through the historic Porta de D.Manual, climbing up to the Alto de Santa Maria passing the Igreja de Misericórdia on the way. Wall remains date the initial construction to be the first half of the 12th Century and it´s importance certainly developed following the re-conquest of the town from the Moors in the first half of the 13th century. Unfortunately, the earthquake of 1755 destroyed much of the caste to leave small sections of walls, one of the old gates and some towers.
This construction located at the mouth of the Rio Gilão defended the entrance to the port from the 16th century. It underwent modification during the War of Restoration from 1640 to 1668. The ruins of the accomodation for the garrison still remain and can be visited.
situated in the parish of
Santiago in Tavira, was built in 1795, by Governador General do
Algarve, o Conde de Vale dos Reis, Nuno José Fulgêncio de Mendonça
Moura Barreto For this quarter came the so-called Infantry Regiment
No. 14 (R.I. 14), of the city of Faro. Since 1 of April 2008
Quartel da Atalaia has been the home of Regimento de Infantaria Nº
1. It is a fine example of architecture
built exclusively for the military and within an urban environment.
The Forte da Conceição, or São João da Barra, was ordered to build in 1670 by Capitão Geral do Reino , to strengthen the protection of Ria Formosa and access to the port of Tavira. The story of the building of the fortress is described in a documented inscription above the entrance door, which indicates it was also the Count who promoted the reconstruction of the bridge of Tavira in the seventeenth century. It was further expanded in 1793.However, with the silting up of the estuary, it´s military function was diminished. It has been privately owned for a number of years and was recently converted into a hotel.