TAVIRA BUILDINGS AND MONUMENTS
The splendour of the city of Tavira is exemplified by its history and there is no better way of seeing this than through its buildings and monuments. Ranging from the historic castle and walls together with the ´Roman Bridge´to the more modern Mercado da Ribeira .
Time to Book your break in Tavira
We will give you a flavour of it here, but to truly enjoy you have to come and visit and walk through the narrow cobbled streets and alleyways.
Casa André Pilarte (Monument of Municipal Interest) Location: Rua Guilherme Gomes Fernandes, Tavira.
The House built in 1541 by famous architect of Tavira, André Pilarte who was also responsible for building the church of Misericórdia.Currently the building form together with the adjoining house built in the second half of the nineteenth century. The Municipality of Tavira renovated the property in 2005 and is now often used for art exhibitions displays.
Casas Raul Lino (Monument of Municipal Interest) Location: Avenida Dr. Mateus Teixeira de Azevedo, Tavira
Mercado da Ribeira Location: Rua José Pires Padinha, Tavira
Built in 1887, the Mercado da Ribeira, Tavira, is typical of the common type of market in which was widely used in Portugal until the mid-twentieth century. In technical terms, the property is notable for introducing more modern materials such as iron and combining this with more traditional stone masonry. The building served as the municipal market until 1999,and since then has been renovated to its present state. It is now used as a focal and social point for the Baixa part of the city with cultural events held there on a regular basis.
Palácio da Galeria Location: Calçada da Galeria, Tavira
Ponte antiga sobre o rio Gilão (Monument of Municipal Interest) Location: Praça da República
Castelo e Muralhas de Tavira - Monument of National Interest Localition - Largo Abu-Otmane
The remains of the castelo rise imposingly besides the Igrja de Santa Maria . The castle is reached through the historic Porta de D.Manual, climbing up to the Alto de Santa Maria passing the Igreja de Misericórdia on the way. Wall remains date the initial construction to be the first half of the 12th Century and it´s importance certainly developed following the re-conquest of the town from the Moors in the first half of the 13th century. Unfortunately, the earthquake of 1755 destroyed much of the caste to leave small sections of walls, one of the old gates and some towers.
Forte do Rato, também denominado Forte de Santo António (Monument of Municipal Interest) Location: Foz do rio Gilão, Tavira
This construction located at the mouth of the Rio Gilão defended the entrance to the port from the 16th century. It underwent modification during the War of Restoration from 1640 to 1668. The ruins of the accomodation for the garrison still remain and can be visited.
Quartel da Atalaia Localition: Rua Isidoro Pires, Tavira
Quartel da Atalaia situated in the parish of Santiago in Tavira, was built in 1795, by Governador General do Algarve, o Conde de Vale dos Reis, Nuno José Fulgêncio de Mendonça Moura Barreto For this quarter came the so-called Infantry Regiment No. 14 (R.I. 14), of the city of Faro. Since 1 of April 2008 Quartel da Atalaia has been the home of Regimento de Infantaria Nº 1. It is a fine example of architecture built exclusively for the military and within an urban environment.
Forte de São João da Barra (Monument of Public Interest Location: Sítio da Fortaleza, Cabanas
The Forte da Conceição, or São João da Barra, was ordered to build in 1670 by Capitão Geral do Reino , to strengthen the protection of Ria Formosa and access to the port of Tavira. The story of the building of the fortress is described in a documented inscription above the entrance door, which indicates it was also the Count who promoted the reconstruction of the bridge of Tavira in the seventeenth century. It was further expanded in 1793.However, with the silting up of the estuary, it´s military function was diminished. It has been privately owned for a number of years and was recently converted into a hotel.